The Ministry of Catechesis
A Catechist’s Role Description
“The vocation of the catechist is first and foremost a call from Love to love.”
Catechesis means “to echo.” You are called to do just more than “echo” the teachings from a book. Catechists “echo” their entire lives from teaching to living out their faith on a daily level.
- An active member of the parish who desires to grow in their faith through Christian disciplines of prayer and service.
- Understands how the dynamics of community and family life play a role in faith formation.
- A commitment to the Church’s liturgical and sacramental life and moral teachings.
- A strength of character built on integrity, humility, and responsibility.
- An awareness of God’s presence in their life and the willingness to share the joy of faith with others.
Knowledge and Skills:
- A basic understanding of Catholic teaching, Scripture, and Catholic Tradition.
- Create honest and caring relationships with the age group and families being served.
- Learn and develop skills in creating lesson plans and teaching styles.
- A willingness to be guided in growth of skills through feedback.
- A willingness to ask for help when needed.
- Complete catechist orientation
- Complete safe-environment training
- Fill out back ground check and sign Code of Ethical Standards
- Commit to ongoing formation
- Follow all rules of parish as stated in the Parent/Student Handbook and Catechist Handbook
For more information, please contact Brian Jens at email@example.com or 414-321-0893 x406.